Friday, May 31, 2024

 Penn Oaks Newsletter June 2024

President's Note

Hi! I am excited about our party. It's all coming together and we are going to have BIG FUN!

There will be surprises. By the way, I will be bringing our collection of do not touch quilts. Most do not have names on them. If your is in the pile, you may take it. I also have 3-4 photo albums. I will bring. If you want one, you may have it. I also have the quilt show yard signs. I will leave them home for now.

This is a bittersweet time for us but let's focus on all the wonderful times we have spent together and the learning we have shared. We all know how and where to find each other.

See you at the party STARTS AT 6 pm!
Love Carolyn

A goodbye and a thank you.
I came to Penn Oaks sometime in the early nineties. I worked with Myrna and when she foundour
that I was a quilter, she suggested I join Penn Oaks. This was one of the best things 
that ever happened to me. The people were wonderful, accepting and helpful. A year later
Kathleen took up Applique and joined the guild. Since then we have had more wonderful
times than I can count. The quilt shows, the speakers, the workshops and the getaways
were all beyond fun. When asked why we didn't go to the getaway I replied that they
certainly wouldn't want a man to spoil the fun. I don't remember who asked but I 
remember the reply: you should absolutely come to the getaway. We have gone to 
every getaway since and they were all fantastic fun with the possible exception of the 
fire. Going down a ladder backwards at two in the morning in our pj's wasn't a lot
of fun as one of us had never been on a ladder! A funny thing though as there was a
positive even from the fire. My favorite student from my first calculus class in 1966 read
about the fire and tracked me down. She was a quilter and we email frequently.
I know time goes on and things change but it is still sad to see it end. Thank you all 
for all the great times and please don't be a stranger in the future. 
Bob DeCarli

Programs  

June 6/10/2024

·        Year End Party

·        In- Person

In June, we will meet in the back building of the church where we will have our Year End Party, a Show and Tell of any work that anyone wants to share, and some games and prizes. And a final goodbye.

Challenge - Kathy Timko - Rikki Newlander

This is OBE. If you did anything, bring it for Show n Tell.

The Challenge: Lets hear it for Barbie!

If you would like to participate, unleash you inner Barbie with at least a baby sized quilt to keep or donate. Go with a riot of pinks or pick your (or your daughters or nieces) favorite Barbie outfit to use as inspiration. We’re looking forward to seeing what you can come up with!

Rikki and Kathy

Snacks
Catered dinner for our final meeting.

2024 Getaway

Since we are disbanding the Getaway is in limbo. We may try and put something
together for next year and if we do I will communicate to you all.
Bob the editor 

  Ways & Means

   This is OBE. For me: fundraiser canceled. I will refund the money to the 2 who paid at June's meeting. Jen Burke

  Membership - Denise Blake and Elaine Egan
.
Greetings fellow quilters. 
My last entry into the Penn Oaks archives- and somehow, I made it on time. Unbelievable!
Well, It was a great meeting in May. So nice to see everyone. Unfortunately, I forgot sign-in papers, so we don't know the total of who was there, but there were more there than I've seen in a long time.
I was glad to have gotten a little sewing in, which is way more than I was expecting.

Happy birthday to the following. Hope you all have wonderful celebrations.
Bob DeCarli
Ellen McMillen
Cindy Vognetz
Sarah Reindel.

And now, some reflections...

I came to Penn Oaks in 1998- it may have even been 1997. My dad saw an article in the paper and clipped it out for me. I came to the meeting, and the rest, they say, is history.
We've met at different venues. They each had their strengths.
We've had MANY great speakers. Pat Sloan comes to mind. I watch her on You Tube quite often.
Locally, who can say that they got Jenny Doan to speak at their guild? What a major bonus! That's definitely some history!! I'll NEVER forget that!
We've had some great workshops. Someday, Bob, I plan on finishing my bargello quilt.
The food at break time was excellent! Most often, that was my Monday night dinner. You all never failed at bringing something good to eat. I've even gotten some great recipes over the years.
The getaways were a blast! So many memorable ones. I wasn't there, but not a lot of people can say that they got evacuated by a fire. Man, that must have been horrible. 
I think my favorite part, which I will miss most, is meeting so many wonderful people. Nice, wonderful people. Some taught me some valuable things. In quilting and in life. Some were great cooks. Some were overachievers- just kidding, they just enjoy quilting and are able to get a lot done.
I can also say that I have made many wonderful friends and I will miss each and every one of you.
This is so very sad, but I understand that life is life, and nothing stays the same.
I wish everyone well on their quilting journey's and their new lives ahead.
Let the tears begin...

Denise Blake

  Penn Oaks Board

President - Carolyn Davis 

Program Chair - Deb Houck

Assistant to Programs - Elaine Mayer

Treasurer - Rita Marie Smith

Recording Secretary - Kelly Meanix

Corresponding Secretary - Ellen McMillen

Membership - Denise Blake-Elaine Egan

Ways & Means - Jen Burke

Scraps and Pieces From The Textile World

1. HUDSON, Ohio, April 30, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- JOANN, the nation’s category leader in sewing and fabrics with one of the largest arts and crafts offerings, announced today it has successfully emerged from its court-supervised financial restructuring process, and has substantially reduced its funded debt by half while further enhancing its liquidity through a $153 million exit financing facility that replaces the previously announced debtor-in-possession financing. The prepackaged Chapter 11 plan was supported by the Company’s lenders, creditors and industry partners, and became effective April 30, 2024, enabling JOANN to be in its best financial position in recent history.

As previously announced, there were no store closures or layoffs in connection with this process. From yarn and fabrics to crafts and home décor, JOANN continues to serve as a one-stop destination for creativity in its more than 800 stores, on JOANN.com and on its mobile app.

“For more than 80 years, JOANN has been a leader in the textiles, sewing and craft industries, and we are now moving forward on the strongest financial foundation in many years. I am confident in this company’s unique ability to continue serving and inspiring handmade happiness with our millions of loyal customers for a long time to come,” said Chris DiTullio, Chief Customer Officer and Co-Lead of the Interim Office of the CEO. “We see great opportunities ahead for this business and are as committed as ever to our customers, Team Members and communities nationwide.”

JOANN’s Prepackaged Joint Plan of Reorganization was confirmed by the Court on April 25 with the unanimous support from all voting creditors. The expedited process lasted less than 45 days thanks to strong alignment and support among all involved parties. In conjunction with its exit from the court supervised process, JOANN is now a private company.

Scott Sekella, Chief Financial Officer and Co-Lead of the Interim Office of the CEO, added, “We are very pleased with how smoothly and swiftly this process has progressed and are incredibly appreciative of the support from our lenders, creditors and industry partners, not to mention our more than 18,000 Team Members in our stores, distribution centers and corporate headquarters who remain committed to our mission. We have now emerged as a significantly strengthened business and will continue to invest in our teams, communities and the customer experience.”

For more information on JOANN, visit JOANN.com.

2. “Weaving Abstraction in Ancient and Modern Art” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, New York through June 16th, 2024. 

3. A display of 13 Gee’s Bend quilts at the Philadelphia Museum of Art through July 7th, 2024. 

4. “Joyce J. Scott: Walk a Mile in My Dreams” at the Baltimore Museum of Art. March 24th, 2024 through July 14th, 2024. 

4. “Pattern and Paradox: The Quilts of Amish Women” at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C. through September 2nd, 2024.

6.  “Sewn in America: Making-Meaning-Memory” at the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum in Washington, D.C. through December 3rd, 2024.



No comments:

Post a Comment

  Penn Oaks Newsletter June 2024 President's Note H i! I am excited about our party. It's all coming together and we are going to ha...