Tuesday, July 31, 2012

August President's Note

August Newsletter President's Note:
Hi Quilters,

I hope everyone is having a great summer quilting.  I was lucky enough to attend the Hershey Quilt Show on the 27th and I saw many of you there.  I was surprised by all the embellishments that were on the quilts.  It seems that Jewels are surging again in popularity.  I appreciated the method that Sherry Reynolds used on her red, white and blue "America, Let it Shine Quilt".  She accented her quilting with a jewel on the tip (See Photo).  I do however think that jeweling can be overdone, I don't really want my quilts to look like a showgirl costume.  They are also incredibly expensive. 



That quilt was Beautiful from the front and the back.  That was another trend, the backs of many of the quilts were as spectacular as the front.  My Mom, Kathy DeCarli was a White Glover and she flipped over many of the quilts to show me the back.  They were amazing, I typically choose a very busy back to hide flaws, but these backs were plain to show the excellent quilting.  The Quilt Below was made by Karen Kay Buckley and I forgot to write down the quilter.  (Sorry for the quality of the photo, I had the wrong setting on my camera)

   

I think attending quilt shows is so important because it is inspiring and refreshing.  I appreciate the fortitude and stamina required to complete such works of art.  It is really a perfect marriage of creative talent and single minded focus that can produce such fabulous quilts.  It kind of reminds me of the Olympic athletes.  To get to the Olympics as in completing a "Best of Show" worthy quilt, an individual must have talent, ability and supernatural drive to go the distance. 

I am looking forward to the Bee on the Monday the 13th of August, doors open at 5:30.  I hope to see many of you there. 
Robin McMillen

1 comment:

 PennOaks Newsletter March 2024 President's Note Hi, all! We had a cozy but marvelous getaway. The hotel gave us each a print by a local...