Monday, April 29, 2013

May 2013 Newsletter

PRESIDENT'S LETTER


Hi Quilters,

Phew, getting ready for the quilt show and looking so forward to it.  I know it is going to be awesome because we have so many, hard working, creative, talented members that will ensure the show is a success.  My Husband Glenn, came into my quilt room today and had the nerve to want to go to Longwood Gardens this afternoon.  Totally spontaneous!  "But I have the quilt show to worry about!" I cried.  Is he crazy, I ask you?  Has he taken leave of his senses?  I could make some more pin cushions for the Acorn Shoppe (mine are awesome, you all are going to want one)  But I took a breath and thought here is a good chance to take a break and literally smell the flowers.  I wanted to share a beautiful picture I took with my phone of the tulips in full bloom.  



Remember, while we are working so hard towards the goal of a fabulous quilt show, we need to have a good time doing it.  It is fun.  Quilting is fun and sharing our passion for quilting with others is fun.  

See you at the show.  

Robin McMillen
(610)836-1363
(610)873-2950


PROGRAMS - CHRIS HARKINS


May - Bob DeCarli, Weaving Patterns to Quilts 
Bob’s first book “Shadow Log Cabins”, is due out this fall and
he is already in the planning stages for a second.
As always, Bob’s ideas will be unique and creative showing us how to take weaving patterns and translate them into quilts!
We will also take time to recognize our Quilt Show winners of the raffle quilt project and more!!!

June – Madge Ziegler, Strings Attached
Teacher, lecturer and award-winning quilt maker, Madge will talk on an old yet currently very hot quilting technique. String quilts are fast, fun and visually exciting.  Real life examples both old and new fill this lecture and will leave you inspired to start your own string quilt just in time for summer!

MEMBERSHIP - ROB LODI AND PAT SMITH

May Birthdays 
 
-Stephanie Braskey
-Carolyn Daves
-Debbie Hill
-Kate Hill
-Selena McFall
-Elaine Mayer
-Rita Marie Smith
 
Membership fees are due May and June....$35. Membership form is in the side bar 
to the right under Important information. Click on it and print.

HOSPITALITY

Diana Smyrl*, Marion Stevenson, , Cindy Vognetz,    Denise Werkheiser*,  Jean Zubert, Jan Zwizanski, AllieBarchi and Debbie Becker.
Please find some one to replace you if you are unable to make the meeting. If there is a star after your
name please bring a drink.


MYSTERY BOX - STEPHANIE BRASKEY

Mystery Box
There will not be any more Mystery Boxes this year.  I hope everyone enjoyed the prizes and I hope someone will consider taking the job for next year when asked.  It was easy and a lot of fun.
I have REALLY enjoyed doing the Mystery Box this year.  As many of you know, I will soon be leaving to spend a year in Shanghai, China while my husband is working there.  I will miss everyone at Penn Oaks and hope to be able to attend a meeting whenever we are home throughout the year.  I'll keep in touch via e-mail and tell you all about my adventures when we get back.
In stitches,
Stephanie Braskey
FROM MYRNA
Fabric Web Site
I was trying to find a fabric to complete a quilt top I made last year.  Locally I could not find it at our favorite quilt shops.  When I took my quilts to the professional quilter, she told me to go to Quiltshops.com.  They ask for your name, info about the fabric, and your email address.  What they do is search the quilt shops throughout the country and when they receive a positive reply(s) will email you immediately with the shops who have your fabric and the cost per yard.   My fabric was found in Shiner, Texas and was mailed/received two days after I ordered.    
Myrna Paluba
UPCOMING EVENTS

Saturday June 22         
Main Line Quilters Presents:
“Trash to Treasure” Sale 
for Quilters, Crafters and Friends 
10 am to 2 pm No admission charge Tredyffrin Township Library 582 Upper Gulph Road Strafford, PA 19087
quilt fabric - yardage, fat quarters, and some vintage
fabric kits, orphan blocks, and UFO’s
skeins of yarn
cross-stitch and needlepoint kits
lace, beads and embellishments
books, magazines and patterns
**************************************
     PENN DRY GOOD MARKET MAY 17 & 18 2013

   SCHEWENKFELDER LIBRARY & HERITAGE CENTER

   105 SEMINARY ST PENNSBURG PA 18073
   
   WWW.SCHWENKFELDER.COM

   *************************************

Stitched Through Time: A Legacy of Quilts, Part II
Through May 24, 2013
Gloucester County Historical Society Museum
Woodbury, NJ  08096


                               



No comments:

Post a Comment

Penn Oaks Newsletter-April 20324

  Penn Oaks Newsletter  April 2024 President's Note Hi, all! I did not get any emails or texts from anyone volunteering to hold office i...