Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 2015 Newsletter

PRESIDENT'S LETTER
Hello Quilters,

This will be a short letter. I know we are all busy getting ready for the show, and that includes me. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the show. By the time you read this the quilt show will be over and we will be able to celebrate a successful event. How do I know this? I don't, but I have a strong feeling things went well!

May and June bring the last of our meetings for this year. The Programs Committee, Suzanne Doonan and Betsy Moses, have some great speakers planned. Please be sure to catch up with them and thank them for a good job this year.

This month we will vote on our new officers. Next month we will honor the volunteer of the year. I look forward to next year and more great times with the Penn Oaks Quilters. Please invite your friends and new quilters you meet. The more the merrier!

Thanks!

Les


PS -

I wrote this letter before the show and I am excited to add this update. The show was an amazing success. Many thanks to everyone - there was 100% participation by the group and we pulled it off. I only heard amazing compliments as people left the show. Congratulations to the organizers and the Guild for another wonderful show.  

PPS - Please note: There were enough leftover cookies to share at the next meeting. Please come hungry or plan to take one home to your favorite sugarholic!




Programs Committee
Suzanne Doonan

Not your grandmother's quilt historian, Janneken Smucker, our May speaker is hip, urbane, and engaging.  Check out Mark Lipinsky's feature on qnntv:  
http://www.qnntv.com/amish-quilts-then-and-now-on-quilt-out-loud/   You will never look at Amish quilts in the same way.  With the show over and your sights set on new quilting adventures, she will inspire you.

Stain Removal:  I had a little adventure with an applique project.  I fused and embroidered following all the techniques I learned in Kelly's wonderful applique class.  As I had used a frixon pen for marking, my last stop was my ironing board.  I slapped my iron down and Voila! the marks remained.  Hmm, a little checking and I discovered that I had used a ballpoint pen.  Time to Shout it out. Didn't work.  Desperate times call for . . . my hand reached for the only thing it could find.  Dancing Waters gel hand soap from Bath and Body Works.  Swished that around on top of Shout.  It did the trick!  The law of unintended consequences strikes again.  Happy quilting!

MEMBERSHIP: Ellen McMillen/ Rita Marie SmithThirty -nine members and two guests attended the April meeting.
May and June are the membership renewal months for the 2015-16 guild year. You can find the renewal form on the newsletter blog and it will also be sent as an attachment in a separate email. The form may be easier to print that way. We will have some blank forms at the May and June meetings for those who do not have printing capability. Please bring your membership forms and checks to the meeting. You may also mail your renewal to Ellen McMillen, 810 Dowlin Forge Rd., Downingtown, PA 19335.


May Birthdays

Rita Marie Smith          3-May
Elaine Mayer               14-May
Carolyn Davis              20-May
Stephanie Braskey      21-May
Debbie Hill                  28-May
Many best wishes to all!

  

HOSPITALITY - ANGEL
Snack list for the May guild meeting is: D.Smyrl*, M.Stevenson, S. Stiverson, C. Vognetz*, D. Werkheiser, J.Zubert*, S. Longanecker, J. Zwizanski, E. Mayer, E. McMillan.  Remember to switch your responsibility with a friend if you cannot attend and let me know. A star after your name means you bring a beverage for the group instead of a snack.



Fabric Swap


This month's fabric is "yellow prints". Please bring (23) 10" squares in a ziplock type bag with you name on the inside. Please remember to choose fabric that is not older than 2 years old. If you are not going to be at the meeting please contact me.
I know a few people did not get their black and whites to me last month. If you still have them be prepared to bring them to the May meeting and hand them out to the participants.
May will be our last swap and I will bring the final fabric squares (yellow prints) to the June meeting. Please let me know if you will not be at the June meeting. If need be you can mail them to the participants or make other arrangements.
Kelly----questions?    kellymx@aol.com or 610-873-7211


2015 Quilt Show

We did it!!!!!!  By the time you read this newsletter, we will be on our way to funding another two years of programs and club expenses. 
With us providing the food and almost every raffle and Acorn shop, we should do really well. 

Penn Oaks Quilters absolutely amazes me.  I am thrilled to say we have 100% participation.  Whether it was a mini quilt, cake, cookies, raffle basket or supplies, or work time, this small guild of 54 wonderful people have pulled if off again.

If you have expenses, please get them in right away, so that we can have a full tally of our profit by the June meeting.  Before our next meeting, would be best to turn them in so we have a preliminary total.  Remember to send the form to Denise Blake along with your receipt(s).

I’m here to train the next duo or individual to take over the 2017 show.  We need commitment to start the process.  I know there is a person who can lead the show forward……


Again,  I sincerely thank each of you for the support you’ve given me over the last 8 years of preparations and 4 shows.  It’s been so wonderful.

From Kelly-----I will do a single post on all the quilts etc of the show later this week.
Suzanne Stiverson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penn Oaks Newsletter-April 20324

  Penn Oaks Newsletter  April 2024 President's Note Hi, all! I did not get any emails or texts from anyone volunteering to hold office i...