Sunday, June 28, 2015

July 2015 Newsletter

PRESIDENT'S LETTER
Dear Penn Oaks Quilters,

Even though it is June and we aren't meeting again until the August bee, we are still working on getting set for next year. Board and Committee Chairs are transferring activities to the new group. I have heard talk about the August bee and programs. Membership is active. There is even chatter about the next show.I know everyone is working on their summer quilting so we will have a lot to see the next time we meet.

I hope many of you have been participating in Row by Row. There are a lot of great shops out there waiting for you to pick up your rows. I'm sure all of you do the same thing I do when I travel. First things first, google all the quilt shops in the vicinity and plan the trip route accordingly!

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the adorable cat blocks. Yes, I am a crazy cat person! I look through the stack of blocks often. They make me smile! I'm thinking about how to combine them into an awesome cat quilt. It is fun to consider all the options. Talk about a great group quilt. Thanks, Everyone!

Have a great 4th of July Holiday. Get those red, white, and blue quilts out!
Les


PROGRAMS
Our annual "Quilting Bee" is scheduled for August 10th, 4:00 to 8:30.  Come when you can, leave if you must.  This is always a great opportunity to catch up with old friends and make some new ones!  Bring a project, quilting or not.  Bring your favorite tips, tricks or favorite techniques to share.  Bring your favorite food.  Or just bring your favorite summer stories.  We all love to talk and listen!
 
Our October meeting is shaping up to be quite exciting.  We are in the process of contracting with Bethanne Nemesh!  If you've been to recent Lancaster and Oaks shows, you've drooled over her fabulous long-arm quilting.  "Like" her on Facebook, where you can link to her website, www.whitearborquilting.com  which has a gallery of all her award-winning quilts, as well as info about her lecture, "Walk a Creative Path".
 
Betsy Moses and Robin McMillen
 

Membership 
Please join me in welcoming Linda Lakitsky to Penn Oaks Quilters. You may have met Linda when she volunteered at the quilt show. Linda's address is 720 N. Reeds Rd., Downingtown, PA 19335 and her home phone number is 610-458-5135. Her email address is lklakitsky@comcast.net.
Note that Marie Kline's correct home phone number is 610-384-4003. Her new email address is mkline1942@gmail.com.

July Birthdays
Delores Holzwarth            6-July
Sara Borr                              13-July
Pat Smith                             19-July
Many happy birthday wishes ladies!
Carolyn and Jamie will be take over Membership mid-summer. 


Fabric Swap
Last year we did a fabric swap with 10" squares. There was talk of continuing it again this year, but changing it up a bit. We could do 2 1/2" strips, charm squares (5" squares), or fat eighths. There was also the idea of doing a block swap.....nine patches, flying geese, variable/Ohio stars, square in a square using novelty prints in the center, a modern fabric swap, a hexagon swap, a polaroid fussy cut swap, a civil war fabric swap, traditional fabric swap, low volume swap, the choices are endless.
I need to know what if anything you would like to do, we could even have a couple of different swaps going on at the same time. If you have an opinion or thought on this, contact me and let me know...kellymx@aol.com. I would like to try and get this set up in August so we can hit the ground running in September.
Please remember this, you must commit to the entire year, September through June. It is only fair to the rest of the members who are also participating and are counting on you to enhance their stash!
I know I have a great bunch of 10" squares that are just waiting to be made into a quilt!
Kelly Meanix


From Jean Fox
To Penn Oaks members and friends,   
You really took me by surprise with nominating me as volunteer of the year.  I deeply appreciate it  and thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Penn Oaks and the members hold a special place in my heart and I am deeply proud  to say I am a part of this fine group.  I feel there are others  who give so much to the guild and deserve this more than me but I really do appreciate being selected.   
Not to be forgotten is the lovely pot of flowers that came with the certificate.  I shall enjoy them and think of all of you when I look at them. They are planted in my yard so will be enjoyed for many months ahead. I am looking forward to another great year with a great group of quilters.   Jean Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

 PennOaks Newsletter March 2024 President's Note Hi, all! We had a cozy but marvelous getaway. The hotel gave us each a print by a local...