Saturday, January 2, 2016

January 2016 Newsletter

President's Letter
Happy New Year to All!

I hope all your Christmas dreams came true and I wish everyone the best in 2016. May you be able to spend lots of time with those you love and spend time doing things you love - that means quilting!

I want to take time at the beginning of the year to thank everyone for their contributions to the Guild. You know who you are! You are Board Members, Committee Chairs, Volunteer Quilters and donors, Volunteers of the Year, and individuals who donate items to raffle and auction for the benefit of the Guild, and of course, loyal members. Without all of you we wouldn't have a Guild.

I  welcome all those who became members in the last year. You also know who you are! We are happy to have you aboard and look forward to getting to know you.

While it is cold and wintery, if it becomes cold and wintery that is, remember to get a head start on those show quilts. Next year, which will be here before you know it, is a show year. The planning has begun and it will get more intense as we go. Thank you, Caroline Davis, for taking the show chairperson position from the longtime chair, Suzanne Stiverson. You have big shoes to fill, but we all know you will do fine!

Happy New Year!
Leslie

Programs
How to Prepare Your Quilt for the Long Arm Quilter
Considering having your quilt sent out to a long arm quilter? Guild members Carolyn Davis and Jamie Loncaric have recently started a hand-guided long arm quilting business. Having completed over 40 quilts for customers, they are anxious to share what they’ve learned about prepping our quilts for this type of service. They will have examples of potential pitfalls and things to consider when choosing a design as well as where to look for potential designs.

Holiday Show and Tell
Before you pack away your holiday decorations, save out your favorite one for this special Show and Tell.   It could be something you made, or that someone special made for you!
Talk to you soon.  Happy New Year!
Betsy 

Membership
We had 30 members at the December meetings and 3 guests. We also added a new member, Kimberly Leadbetter. Welcome!

We have one birthday in January.

Diana Smyrl's birthday is on January 25.

Hospitality
Snack list for the January, 2016 meeting is: P.Smith, R.Smith, D. Smyrl, M. Stevenson*, S. Stiverson, C. Vognetz*, P.White, S. Williams, J. Zubert. If there is a star after your name, please bring a beverage for the group instead of a snack. If you cannot attend the meeting, kindly switch your responsibility with a friend so we don't run short and let me know.

Member Profile- Jamie Loncaric
How many years ago did you start quilting?
I started quilting when my son Logan was born and he just turned 7 at the end of October.  I had been laid off just as I was going to return to work after he was born and we made things work so I could be a stay at home mom and save daycare costs.  My mom had been quilting and I wanted to find a hobby.  Now that he is in school for a full day, it has really opened up my quilting time!

What is your favorite part of the quilting process?
I love to walk around and look at all the fabric choices.  It's really easy at the "shopping for fabric" phase to imagine gorgeous, effortless results.  Reality is certainly more challenging!  As I was making the Super Mario quilt I had in our last guild show, I also realized I really enjoyed creating something that looked like something.  I like batiks and beautiful patterns but seeing something familiar come from something I created was a lot of fun.  Maybe I just appreciated the instant gratification it provided.

What is your favorite color?
I love love love blues.  So many gorgeous different choices.  Batiks are my favorite fabrics.  I like how they often have blended colors and patterns going on.

How many quilts do you think you have made?
I think I've made a little over 20 quilts.  Many have been given away as gifts but we have a few to use on chilly days on the couch. 

What is your next project?
I'm working on a Legend of Zelda video game quilt that will be a wedding gift for my husbands cousin in October 2016.  I am enjoying it a lot and have to keep telling myself that it will be a gift and not to get attached.  Not sure I could stomach making another one for myself after.  Too many 1 1/2 inch squares!

Tell us something the members may want to know about yourself.
The nerd/geek streak runs pretty strong though my household.  If you are ever considering an electronic purchase (or video game quilt patterns!), feel free to ask any questions.  There is a good chance I've got something in my household for reference and I'm always willing to help. I am still very much a novice quilter though so I will look to the other members for support!

Block Swap

The blue 4 patches are due at the January meeting, please remember to let me know if you will not be at the meeting. Remember we are swapping 12 blocks, please put your name inside the bag.
The color for February is aqua, any combinations you want to sew!
Kelly Meanix       kellymx@aol.com 610-873-7211


Sewing Machine Raffle
Please let everyone know Betsy Moses won the sewing machine raffle!
Thx

Denise Werkheiser


Upcoming Events

New Quilts by Kaffe Fassett
Michener Art Museum
November 14, 2015 - February 21, 2016
Doylestown, PA  18901
www.michenermuseum.org
2016 Nature's Prism: A Quilt Display
January 8, 2016 - February 7, 2016
Devon, PA
Jenkins Arboretum
www.jenkinsarboretum.org
American Quilter's Society
March 16-19, 2016
Lancaster Convention Center
Lancaster, PA
www.americanquilter.com
Celebration of Quilts 2016
York Quilter's Guild
May 20-21, 2016
Grumbacher Sport & Fitness Center
York, PA
www.celebrationofquilts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 PennOaks Newsletter March 2024 President's Note Hi, all! We had a cozy but marvelous getaway. The hotel gave us each a print by a local...