Monday, May 29, 2023

 June 1, 2023: Penn Oaks Newsletter

President's Note

Happy June Quilters!

 

It is our guild year finale for this year. My thanks to all of you for continuing to come to meetings via Zoom and especially live. I need to thank also the officers for all of their work. Special thanks to Donna for the varied programs. Thanks to Rita Marie for paying the bills and to Elizabeth and Sarah for managing membership. Thanks to Nancy and Angela our correspondence and recording secretaries. Thanks also to Jamie for trying to keep me on track. Special thanks to Bob for his patience with me for the newsletter stuff he need from me and all the extra stuff he adds or sends along. Very special thanks to Jen for EVERYTHING she does. Deb has been a great program assistant and is lining up some special programs for next year.

 

I also need to thank everyone who signed up for positions for next year. I think there are a few gaps but right now I can’t remember which. So you all know what I might do – put names in a hat and pick someone.

 

I am looking forward to seeing the challenge quilts. Frankly I have a few because simply making a scrap quilt is a challenge to me. However, I think it is getting easier to think of possibilities. I am going to focus on the baby quilts for the NICU at Albert Einstein Medical Center. These are to 36 x 36” and are used to provide cover on the isolettes so the baby feels more at home. The babies take them home when they leave the hospital. I have some from Brenda already. I plan to take them to the NICU in June. If any of you want to make some, I can postpone delivery to mid August and take a bigger batch.

 

Let’s party this month! We can make plans for summer projects for next year. Don’t forget your ugly fat quarter, you it might not have to be ugly, just one that you have been unable to find a use for yet. Maybe its just too stunning or unusual or your mind was in a different place when you got it.

 

Hugs to everyone. I’m pretty sure I forgot something important to tell you – yes! Membership is due this month. See you at the meeting!

Carolyn

Programs

JUNE 12th, 2023 at 7:00


We Gotta Say Good-bye for the Summer...
For our last meeting until the August "Bee," everyone please bring:
Your "Challenge" Quilt (there will be voting and prizes!)
Show and Tell
A refreshment (cookies, chips, a beverage, etc.)

A fat quarter for an exchange. Do you have a piece of fabric for which you can't find a use? Does it not work with any of your other fabrics? Is it too far out of your comfort zone, or just plain ugly? Bring it to the meeting for a fat quarter exchange/mini challenge. Make something with the fat quarter that you receive - a quilt block, mug mat, Christmas ornament, purse/bag or other small project. You have all summer to make something with it, then bring it to the September meeting for Show and Tell. No rules or limits to what you can make or how many fabrics you can use with it. Let your creativity flow!    Donna Daley


Programs-Next Year

Here is an update on programs to come for 2023-2024 quilting year!  Our guild still needs to fill the role of Assistant to Programs.  Please consider volunteering for that role.  I know there is a possibility that I will need someone to help with the August meeting in my role as I need to take my son to Florida for his first semester of college. Below finds the tentative schedule for the year to come.  I am still looking for a zoom speaker for March 2024.  If anybody has any suggestions for me to investigate, please let me know.

2023-2024 Programs Tentative Schedule

Month

Date

Activity

Program Name

Type

August

8/14/2023

Quilting Bee

In person

September

9/11/2023

Trudy Cleveland

Shoot Your Quilt

Virtual

October

10/9/2023

Joan Radell/Bumblebee Toolbox

The History of Textiles is the History of the World

In person

November

11/13/2023

Gail Kessler

Ugly Quilts - How do I save it?

In person

December

12/11/2023

Holiday Party

In person

January

1/8/2024

Julie Sefton

Dumpster Diving and Build a Barn Quilts

Virtual

February

2/12/2024

Rachel Dodd

Creative Adventures with Racheldaisy

Virtual

March

3/11/2024

zoom speaker?

Virtual

April

4/8/2024

Terry Lieberman

Don’t Stitch in My Ditch

In person

May

5/13/2024

Sew Day?

In person

June

6/10/2024

Year End Party/Challenge

In Person

 

I have completed contracts for Trudy Cleveland and Joan Radell for September and October.  Contracts are in process for Gail Kessler, Julie Sefton, and Rachel Dodd. 

 

Trudy Cleveland will be presenting her “Shoot Your Quilt" program. This is a program that will give you the basics on how to photograph your quilt with a smartphone and get professional looking results. Learn why you should photograph your quilts, how to photograph them, and what you can do with your images. This program is packed with practical tips that you can start using right away. You will be saying, "I didn’t know I could do that!" at the end of this program.

Joan Radell of Bucklebee Toolbox will be presenting “The History of Textiles is the History of the World” program as well as a tool demonstration.  The program is a 45-minute dynamic, multimedia program about the history of home-sewing, sewing tools, and their cultural and economic impact on society.  She will do a hands-on demo of her sewing tools that she takes to quilt shows and will have them available for purchase at our meeting.   Debora Houck


2022  Board

President - Carolyn Davis / Jamie Loncaric

Program Chair - Donna Daley

                      Assistant-Deb Houck

Treasurer - Rita Marie Smith

Recording Secretary - Angela Brant

Corresponding Secretary - Nancy DeTeodora

Membership - Elizabeth Young / Sarah Reindel

Ways & Means - Jen Burke

2022 Quilt Guild Challenge - Rikki Newlander

Our guild challenge judging:
Voting categories are:
Best use of scraps
Best use of color
Favorite Quilt
You can only win one prize. I like to spread the prizes around. Please bring your Quilt in a bag covered up.  I will number the quilts and hand out ballots. After the voting is over we will guess who made which quilt. 

I am excited as I did make one and finish it fairly easily so I hope to make more for charity.  I think we still have a lot of scraps left so let us know if you need more.  I hope that everyone can come to the June meeting and see all the lovely quilts that were made.

2023 Getaway
We'll return to the Amish View Inn in February, 2024. See below for the dates and room rates. Note that an 11% tax is applied to the room rates. The rooms in the main building will be closed for renovation. The complimentary full breakfast buffet will still be offered every morning, accessible via the main indoor corridor. We'll be able to use that corridor to reach the sewing room as well. More details to follow as we get closer to the date of the Getaway. We'll take reservations beginning at the September meeting. Please contact us with any questions.

Our usual meeting dates (2/21/24-2/24/24) will be in the Adult Wing. Each room has a single King bed.
Wednesday $154.00
Thursday      $164.00
Fri & Sat       $214.00

Ellen McMillen and Cindy Vognetz

Ways & Means

Let's plan for another quilting bazaar in 2023. Spring versus fall, I'm looking for your input!  We'll need volunteers and demos. More information to come.

 Membership - Sarah Reindel and Elizabeth Young

We had 21 members at the May meeting.

  Penn Oaks Sunshine

If you know of a guilt member who could use some well wishes or encouragement because of a sickness or life event, please contact me at Grasshopper1@gmail.com.  I will make sure to send our collective good thoughts to our fellow member.
 Nancy DeTeodoro

Bits and Pieces From The Textile World

1. So sad news: Vermont Quilt Festival is shutting down for financial reasons.

2. Mark Zuckerberg is learning to sew in order to create 3D-printed dresses for his children.

3. Annies announced this week that Crochet! magazine is shutting down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penn Oaks Newsletter-April 20324

  Penn Oaks Newsletter  April 2024 President's Note Hi, all! I did not get any emails or texts from anyone volunteering to hold office i...